Click here to sign up!
Tour 1 – Day 0 Friday afternoon September 10 – day 7 Friday afternoon September 17, 2021
Tour 2 – Day 0 Saturday afternoon September 18 – day 7 Saturday afternoon September 25, 2021
$1475/person base price, E-bike $100, Single Supplement $325
- Week-long point-to-point tour from Chenonceaux to Angers generally along “La Loire a Velo”, a cycleway crossing the middle of France. About a fifth of the ride detours off to visit Chinon, Fontevraud Abbey and other interesting spots.
- Hour and a half train ride southwest of Paris.
- Contains the largest concentration of Chateaux (beautiful manor house/castles), in the world.
- Gardens, historic cities, cathedrals, cave houses, wineries, vineyards, and French cuisine.
- Pastoral, relaxing scenery, generally flat.
- Short mileage allows enough time to visit wonderful sights along route each day.
- 6 days of riding and 1 off-day, between 20 and 34 miles/day. 2 nights in Tours, 1 night in Langeais, 2 nights in Chinon, 2 nights in Saumur.
- Day 0 – Meet in Tours, visit Cathedral, stay night. Enjoy extensive pedestrian zones, restaurants, nightlife.
- Day 1 – Take short train ride to Blere, ride to magnificent river-Chere-straddling Chateaux de Chenonceaux & gardens, then back to Tours, 28 miles. If time, visit & tour of Chateau de Nitray Vineyard.
- Day 2 – Tours to Langeais via visit to world-renown gardens at Villandry, 20 miles. Visit the “manly” castle of Langeais. Optional longer ride if desired.
- Day 3 – Langeais to Royal City of Chinon via Chateau Rigny-Usse, the “Sleeping Beauty” Castle, 20 miles. Swimming in Loire river, Visit huge Fortress of Chinon.
- Day 4 – Rest Day in Chinon, visit Domaine de Couly-Dutheil Winery and Vineyard. Options include boating on the Vienne river, bike ride, reading, relaxing at our 500 year Hotel Diderot’s beautiful courtyard, walking around town.
- Day 5 – Chinon to Saumur via beautiful hillside village of Cande-St. Martin, 24 miles. Visit magnificent overlook & cathedral at Cande-St. Martin, cave hotel of Demeure de la Vignole, underground vineyard Dom Htes Troglodytes QuessonMachet. Ride alongside extensive shops and dwellings of the cave-dwelling troglodytes.
- Day 6 – Day ride to Fentevraud-Abbaye, burial place of Richard the Lionheart and Eleanor of Aquitane, and underground fortress Chateau de Breze, 25 miles.
- Day 7 – Saumur to Angers with hand-operated ferry crossing of L’Authion river, 34 miles. Enjoy extensive cultural and food offerings in Angers, largest castle in mid-France (13 huge towers!).
- Level of Difficulty – Generally not difficult as the cycling is largely along the flat “Loire a Velo” bikeway. One large hill on day 3, and days 6 and 7 a little more challenging due to some hills & wind.
2021 Chateau of the Loire Price
$1475/person double occupancy.
Extra $325 for single occupancy, $150 for E-Bike.
- High quality hybrid or Electric bikes (extra fee) for comfortable riding on crushed-gravel cycle paths as well as roads.
- Bicycle Helmets.
- Lodging in beautiful B&B’s or small hotels.
- Luggage transport & emergency van support.
- Full-time, on-road guide (Andy Brown).
- Detailed electronic routes and cue sheets with descriptions.
- Tour information booklet.
- Advice with travel arrangements.
- Full French breakfast (Croissants, Fruit, Marmalade, Cheeses) every day.
- Admission to Chateaux de Chenonceaux, Villandry Gardens, Fontevreaux Abbey, Chateux Breze, and Cheateau de Usse.
What’s not included
- Transportation to and from the start of the tour.
- Lodging before and after the tour.
- Lunches, Dinners, or Drinks.
- Additional arrangements necessary if you bring your own bike.