Join one of our week-long “Grand Loop Tours” of the southeast counties of England, Kent and Sussex, known as “The Garden of England”. Experience white horses in hillsides, stunning chalk cliffs overlooking the English Channel, grand cathedrals, royal castles, historic battle sites, and unsurpassed scenic cycling along miles and miles of quiet country lanes.
Garden of England Tour Itinerary, 7 Nights – 7 days
Saturday June 1- Saturday June 8, 2019
Saturday June 8-Saturday, June 15, 2019
Saturday June 22-Saturday, June 29, 2019
For a great overview of the tour, here’s a link to a 9 minute video one of our participants made last year! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRfb2p8j8B0
Day 0 (afternoon before cycle tour). We meet at our hotel in Royal Tunbridge Wells, site of the historic “Pantiles” pedestrian section of restaurants and shops, and check out our bikes.
Day 1, 26 miles. After a traditional full English Breakfast, we ride to Leeds Castle, called the “loveliest castle in Europe,” where we stay in a B&B on the grounds.
Day 2, 26 miles. Riding along the Pilgrim’s Path to Canterbury (where the famous Canterbury Tales were composed, beginning with “Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote”, click here for short audio of the entire Prologue), where we’ll see the glorious cathedral and enjoy the large downtown pedestrian zone of museums, the “crooked bookstore”, and restaurants.
Day 3, 40 miles. We follow official bike routes through magnificent countryside to the Medieval City of Rye, one of the Cinque Ports designated to guard King Henry’s kingdom against invasion.
Day 4, 35 miles. We ride to the site of the Battle of Hastings, where William the Conqueror defeated King Harold in 1066, visit the splendid gardens of Herstmonceux Castle, and on to the grand Victorian Seaside town of Eastbourne. That night, we’ll take in a concert of the 1812 Overture, complete with fireworks, at the awesome colonnaded 1935 Bandstand.
Day 5. Enjoy a day of leisure; swimming, shopping, hiking to the the Seven Sisters Park, which was called “the most relaxing place in the world” by CNN travel, or just relaxing.
Day 6, 22 miles. We cycle along the White Cliffs of Beachy Head, then continue the day into the pastoral Cuckmere valley, with the quaint village of Alfriston, and up onto the magnificent vistas of the South Downs. After cycling with the hikers, equestrians, and sheep sharing the trail, we go on to the Tudor village of Lewes for the night.
Day 7, 37 miles. Our last day takes us through more great cycling countryside, including the Forest Way trail, and back to our starting point in Royal Tunbridge Wells.
- High quality hybrid or Electric bikes (extra fee) for comfortable riding on crushed-gravel cycle paths as well as roads.
- Bicycle Helmets.
- Lodging in beautiful B&B’s or small hotels, including one night at Leeds castle.
- Luggage transport & emergency van support.
- Full-time, on-road guide (Andy Brown).
- Detailed electronic routes and cue sheets with descriptions.
- Tour information booklet.
- Advice with travel arrangements.
- Full English breakfast every day.
- Admission to Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral, Hastings Battlefield & Museum, and Eastbourne Bandstand concert.
What’s Not Included:
- Transportation to and from the start of the tour.
- Lunches, Dinners, or Drinks.
- Additional arrangements necessary if you bring your own bike.
Contact us at email@example.com for more details and to sign up!